TRINITY, Texas— The No. 6 Texas Men’s Golf team carded a final-round score of 2-under-par 286 on Wednesday to finish in third place at the Big 12 Championship at Whispering Pines Golf Club. In a back-and-forth battle all day featuring three of the top teams in the nation, No. 1 Oklahoma captured the team title with a 54-hole total of 14-under-par 850 (282-286-282), just two strokes in front of No. 2 and runner-up Oklahoma State (852) and three strokes in front of the Longhorns (853).
Trailing Oklahoma by seven strokes at the turn, Texas posted a combined score of 11-under by its five players on holes 10-14 to briefly take the lead. But the Sooners and Cowboys both carded final-round team scores of 6-under 282 on Tuesday to nip the Longhorns at the finish line.
Senior Cole Hammer paced a quartet of UT players that finished among the top 11 in the individual standings. Hammer tied for third with a three-round total of 5-under-par 211 (70-70-71), and junior Mason Nome equaled his season-best finish with a tie for sixth at 3-under-par 213 (72-70-71). Senior Parker Coody tied for ninth at 2-under-par 214 (70-73-71), and senior Pierceson Coody tied for 11th at 1-under-par 215 (69-73-73).
The Championship was originally set for a 72-hole format, but it was reduced to 54 holes when weather halted play on Monday with the majority of the field just getting started in their opening round.
Texas will learn its draw in the upcoming NCAA Regionals during the Division I Men’s Golf selection show on Wednesday, May 4. The show will be televised nationally at 3 pm Central on Golf Channel.
- Senior Cole Hammer carded a 1-under 71 on Wednesday to tie for third in the individual standings at 5-under-par 211 (70-70-71). He was at 2-over through his opening four holes but rebounded to play his final 14 holes at 3-under. Hammer has now recorded five top-10 and eight top-15 individual finishes in 10 stroke-play events this season.
- Junior Mason Nome posted a 1-under 71 in the final round to tie for sixth at 3-under-par 213 (72-70-71). He played his first 14 holes on Wednesday at 4-under without a bogey. Nome equaled his season-best finish, as he previously tied for sixth at the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational (April 2-3). He has now registered four top-10 and five top-15 individual finishes in 10 stroke-play events this year.
- Senior Parker Coody tallied a 1-under 71 on Wednesday to tie for ninth at 2-under-par 214 (70-73-71). He played his first 16 holes in the final round at 3-under without a bogey. Coody has now recorded three top-10 individual finishes in eight stroke-play events this season.
- Senior Pierceson Coody fired a 1-over 73 in the final round to tie for 11th at 1-under-par 215 (69-73-73). He posted a pair of birdies and was at 1-under through his opening 14 holes on Wednesday. Coody has now registered five top-15 individual finishes in six stroke-play events this year.
- Junior Travis Vick carded a 1-over 73 on Wednesday to tie for 20th at 6-over-par 222 (72-77-73). After making the turn at 3-over, Vick birdied three of his next five holes (10, 12 and 14) to get back to even-par before making bogey on 17. Vick has now recorded eight top-20 individual finishes in 10 stroke -play events this season.